Coffeeshop blues

What is a barista supposed to do in this kind of a work situation?

Hey guys,

Firstly I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read this. I have no one to talk to here in my world about this because none of my friends match my barista job profession.

I am a barista for 4 years now. It has been a rocky road of jumping coffee shops. Owners have screwed me over in not paying me, etc.

I have finally found a coffeeshop that I love to work at! It is perfect and so is the staff.
The problem is - they keep putting this guy on bar, when he doesn’t really know a lot about it. He got booted off the bar when he couldn’t keep up with the face paced environment…

They keep giving him second chances and as one of the head baristas I let my managers know how unprofessional and terrible his drinks look.

Not only that, we almost got into a physical altercation because he kept micromanaging me when he doesn’t know a thing about the bar!!!

Everyone hates him, including myself but he keeps putting on a face for managers making them believe that he is wanting to be on bar and that he can change. This guy is breaking up the coffee family and we don’t know what to do about it.

It’s gotten to the point where I can’t even see him at work and I will not let him anywhere near my bar shift.

Ps. This guy has been here for 2 years and can’t even tamp a shot under 15 seconds. Yes it takes him that long.

So I guess I have to ask, who do you think should be the one to leave ? Should I wait for home to mess up?

What should I do?

IMPORTANT: Please search the site for an existing conversation. Duplicates are boring, and wasteful.

1 Like