Cold Brew, Cold Drip, RTD

1 Like

I find that majority of cold brews out there are rather similar in taste. Taken with milk, there is always a bit of nuttiness and sometimes even herb-like aromas/taste notes. Does anyone out there agree or disagree with this? What are your thoughts Barista Hustle Community?

The vast majority of cold brews I’ve tasted have a drying papery taste - I think this may have something to do with the amount of filtration needed. The best for me is the japanese method of hot brewed coffee snapped chilled over ice.

I thinked theres still have acidity in cold brew, as i tried make last night but the equipment i use hario mizudashi.

Cold brew still has some acid in it but much less.

I wanted to see what people think of Cold Brew Vs Cold drip? I have run my own test and I tend to favor cold drip but it is easier to make large batches of cold brew. What do other people think about cold brew vs cold Drip?

Perhaps change the second link from “big batch advice” to “general guidelines on nitro.” That thread is an absolute goldmine to anyone trying to do nitro cold brew.

2 Likes

I use Hario Mizudashi (large) and what is absolutely critical, is hot bloom. Otherwise, the top end acidic notes are just lost.

80g Coffee Baratza Preciso 31A

Place a cube or two of ice in bottom of carafe, this is to instantly cool the coffee from the hot bloom

160g “hot bloom” 1 minute with slow pour from Hario kettle.

Then pour 1000g from Hario kettle, roughly 60 degree water, through the coffee grinds.

Refrigerate for 12 hours. and then filter through Chemex “white”, usually takes at least three filters. This cleans out the cup and reveals the fruity acidity and allows for longer storage.

Then store cold brew in containers that have a manual vacuum pump. Coffee stays fresh at least a week.

Kenya, Ethiopia works well for this. Klatch or Intelligentsia.

Again, hot bloom required.

This is very, very competitive to using the japanese iced coffee method in flavor quality, guidelines at cremacafe.

No amount of cold drip will extract adequate acidity, so essentially just throwing away the full character and originality of coffee bean.

This is my opinion, and I am unanimous in this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve found that by manipulating both ratio and time, the taste can be drastically altered; this is, of course, a huge given.

Working with big batches in a filtros pro with a cotton bag filter, using a fairly typical medium house blend with dark fruit and nutty notes, I’ve noticed that ratios closer to 5lbs/3gallons over 24 hours tend to be usually nuttier, flatter in flavor, more coffee-and-cream with milk; whereas, ratios of 5lbs/2gallons over 18 hours usually have the dark fruit notes and juicy sweetness standing out, similar to a great Ethiopia pulled as espresso, and has much more of almost an espresso and milk taste with milk.

I’ve also noticed, similar to homecafe, that a carefully done hot bloom can bring out brighter, more acidic notes to round out the depth and sweetness.

If kept in mind that the different chemical compounds in coffee have different tastes and also solubilities, I would think that any tastes exhibited hot-brewed have the potential to be mimicked cold-brewed. Just might have to get creative.