Discussion for Hand Grinders

@Korey, what are your thoughts on the Hand Ground grinder? Could it really be that precise with the ceramic burrs? Looking into Lido and Comandante as well, but wanted to get your take on it.

@sgiambroni09 From what Iā€™ve seen so far, it seems like a good hand grinder for people who are just starting to get into home brewing. Itā€™s more user-friendly than other grinders of similar price. It hasnā€™t actually come out yet, so I donā€™t know exactly how it performs. I was curious if anyone else knows more about it. (Also, I like how it rests on the table as you crank it perpendicular to the rest of the systemā€¦ Seems like this would keep things more stable in the chamber).

I was never so interested in manual grinders but the above discussions sparked some of my interest and i would too will be looking for one, may be Lido 3 first.

Iā€™ve got a Helor 101 on the way with the espresso burrs :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve bought a JavaPresse manual grinder a while back. Iā€™m pretty happy with it. especially the portable factor. I can take it where ever. In fact I took it to a camping trip about 2 months ago. works just fine. the only problem I do have with a hand grinder is that fact that I gotta use my hands to grind. But thatā€™s the only way I can get freshly ground coffee if Iā€™m hiking in the middle of nowhere.

As far as the price goes for the JavaPresse its fairly cheap I got mine for $40 bucks but that was a while ago when it was on sale. Right now I think its about $20.

Quality: Iā€™m kinda amazed at how good this grinder is made especially when you think about the current price of $20. It pretty sturdy.

Looks: Iā€™m not that impressed with the looks though but then again thats just me I like things that look totally cool you know like 007 type of gadgets. Donā€™t expect this hand grinder to be anything like that. It just plain and simple looking made of stainless steel. and does what it is meant to do grind coffee anywhere without electricity.
Come to think of it if it was made to look really cool then i guess the quality of the grinder would not be so great. Iā€™m guessing the only reason this grinder has lasted me a long while is because its made of stainless steel. On my trips I have dropped in many times. but the only thing I noticed was minor scratches on the body. still grinds great coffee and everything is working just fine.

If you want one then I would say the best place to get one would be Amazon since thatā€™s where you can get it the cheapest.

Here is a cool expert review of the grinder with a video demo as well Just In case you want a in depth review: JavaPresse Manual Coffee Grinder

1 Like

have u guys tried kinu m47? i tried to find review but so hard to find the comprehensive one. thx b4

Hi Korey
have a look on : http://www.comandantegrinder.com/index.html#styles

Can somebody help how to interpret this data?
really interested in getting comandante soon

My first post! Iā€™d appreciate if someone could weigh in on the pros and cons of the Rosco vs some of the others on this thread (http://www.portaspresso.com/page1004.html) . Any insights appreciated.

With the obvious exception of the Lido E and E-T, are these grinders aimed at particular grind sizes/brew methods? Iā€™m looking at a Commandante, but I donā€™t want to buy it and find out that itā€™s great at espresso fineness, but only ok at pourover, which I make more often

I have made delicious pourover & French press with LidoE, generally if the grinders will make espresso they will also be OK for manual brew methods. Itā€™s more likely that you can have a grinder OK for manual brews but unable to make satisfactory espresso grind because of the lack of a fine finishing area on the burrs, like Zassenhaus Quito/Panama. No experience with the Commandante however.

1 Like

Thanks very much, that makes sense

Well actually, the Helor has two options for burr set (which roughly equate to ā€˜tailored for pouroverā€™ and ā€˜tailored for espressoā€™), and (I donā€™t think) we know which they used for these tests.

I use the ā€˜espressoā€™ (contemporary) burr in mine full time, as I feel that prep method is the one that needs the most help. Itā€™s perfectly fine for pour over and AP, which I find Im also making less of now.

Note that Socratic Coffee uses a drill for their manual grinder tests. IMO this makes the tests not particularly useful if either a) RPM effects grind distribution, or b) Using a drill makes proper stabilization not matter as much.

On the topic of hand grinders, anyone else super excited for the Aergrind from Knock? Same burr set as the feldgrind, but in a casing small enough to fit in the aeropress. Missed out on the kickstarted, but definitely picking one up when they hit the market.

3 Likes

I use a Kinu M38. I love it. It was recommended to me by a redditor in r/coffee. At the time I bought mine it was the last one available here in the US, so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s currently available here or elsewhere. I will say that, apart from the grind quality and dial-bility ā€“ both of which being more than sufficient for me to dial in a perfect shot ā€“ what I love most about it is its very solid, machined, all-metal construction. I have had no issues whatever with it, though to be honest Iā€™ve only been using it, on average, three times daily for a few months. It has a pretty nice italmill set and was anoverall good value when I purchased it. If I recall correctly, I think it cost about $200 usd.

1 Like

Just wanted to put this out there;

is it worth buying a comandante if you own a zassenhaus? both have steel burrs and similar bearings, all i know is that the comandante is just bigger.

They have different burrs, the Quito doesnā€™t do well at finer end brewed grinds, as it has no fine finishing area.

I have the ROK hand grinder and love it! Portability? No. A bit pricey as far as hand grinders go but well worth it. The conical grinder is placed with precision with no wobble. The gearing is good quality. I highly recommend it.

1 Like

So i see some of the popular grinders in the thread above, my interest is also i purchasing either a Lido 3 are Comandante Nitro. Has anyone been able to compare a side by side comparison of these 2 grinders? The graph above is a good representation however there is no Lido 3 comparison. 90% of my grinding is for manual brewing i.e everything but espresso.