Old Coffee Beans

If the original author is ok i’ll want to ask same question but for less older coffee beans, let’s say 1/2 weeks old, what should we do first ?
Thank’s :wink:

Was it frozen? :slight_smile:

Really though, can you describe it or what was good about it?

As far as my educated guesses: the higher solubility of old coffee could help you achieve a higher extraction while fewer volitiles could make for a very drinkable “smooth” cup. Maybe the strength masks any stale flavors?

Hello there, i tried this before

1. Change your tamping pressure
  2. Extraction time
  3. Change grind size around 1 space

Good luck :blush:

Less or more ? (for each :wink: )

For me i will use it for flavor latte or any flavor iced latte, since the drinker probably will not care about the coffee quality. But yesterday i try my old bean which has been stored about 7 month. Apparently it doesn’t taste so bad for latte, i adjust the brew temp (lower). But i hasn’t try it with espresso, cause i think it will taste so bad.

No it was just sitting in the training room. It was super floral and intense. Just a fluke I guess…

Hello Stephane,
For me make it less example you tamp hard for the fresh roasted beans,now you tamp it medium. 2 extraction time rduce 2-3 seconda from usuall. 3. Grimd size less like medium fine ground coffee

Hope it’s helping you Stephane :blush:

what im gonna do is…up dosing,play around with yield(less water) and tempreture.
i experience few times that old coffee (2months+) taste still good…

i remember the one coffee i try is kenya hell yah !

out of curiosity, how much has anyone experimented with older beans for espresso? i recently discovered that beans at two weeks had a wider sweet spot (in pull time) than they had had when fresher, and were still delicious.

[quote=“Rozi, post:25, topic:211”]
For me make it less example you tamp hard for the fresh roasted beans,now you tamp it medium.
[/quote] @ Rozi For me Now i stand at Matt point of view about tamp pressure after i’ve read this article fews week’s ago https://www.baristahustle.com/how-hard-should-you-tamp/ :wink:

I test the others stuff you said and let you know :slight_smile:

I’ve been told, and used to adhere to, the industry standard of coffee needing to be used within the 2-14 days out of roasting rule. I’ve come to discover that more flavors are perceived and extraction is more consistent with espresso that is 2-6 weeks old. The reason I have found this to be true is that there isnt as much crema (aka gasses) getting in the way of flavors and also expanding the bean so much that is causes it to touch the screen, while it’s being extracted, which in turn causes the puck to burn.

With brewed coffee, i’d say the gasses are more forgiving, and the optimal serve time is 1-6 weeks out of roasting.

I’d love to hear what others think of what I said and to see if anyone has tried out this idea.

-Skyler Greyson

I believe there is a more rational explanation for this. Coffee cannot burn touching the screen. It was roasted to ~200C. A group head is a warm bath in comparison.

Hello stephane

Had you tried all those steps?:blush:

I definitely agree, Matt, I just couldn’t justify my tastes any other way. Maybe it is just the gasses that are expressing themselves too much, and getting in the way of the natural flavors that the coffee has to offer. Do you have any other, possible, explanation that can explain this?

Not yet, i test new coffee for now :wink:

@Sgreyson Even though the screen is not burning the coffee grounds, you still don’t want the grounds touching the screen because that will cause an uneven extraction. It is necessary for a small layer of water to build above the puck so that the pressure pushes on that whole layer and goes through evenly instead of just channeling through the coffee and also missing the area right below the screw.

@Ben_Nicholson this could work? :joy:

How about for Colin Harmon and Steve Leighton’s Coffee Throwing Championship?

We’ve also had some of our grounds picked up by someone growing shiitake and morel mushrooms. Old coffee could be great for growing expensive mushrooms.

At my cafe, we’ve used old/aged beans to great effect offered as nel…

http://www.parengocoffee.com/blog/2014/3/1/the-basics-nel-drip

Thanks for your advice :slight_smile: From now I will definitely try to follow it :smiley: