Re-using steamed milk yes or no?!

Hi guys,

I had a discussion with one of my colleagues about milk waste.
He was certain that you can re-use steamed milk by adding cold milk to it.
I said that you can’t do that because the protein in the milk has been solidified already and you won’t get the right texture anymore.
What do you guys do and think?

do a taste test, drink one cup of re-used steamed milk and drink one cup of fresh steamed milk. As you said with the proteins already being solidified post-steaming, all the other compounds have been changed too, and adding cold milk doesn’t revert that. If there’s a concern about milk wastage; steam with less milk.

I agree with Nico, use less milk. Also, he should use different size jugs for the amount of coffees you are making. I would recommend to never use the leftover milk for various reasons, including health safety being a #1 on that list. People with different health sensitivies come to coffee shops and it’s a risk not worth taking. There are different ways to address the issue of NOT wasting the milk. He should be more precise about his measurements.

Cheers,
Bianka

would recommend to never use the leftover milk for various reasons, including health safety being a #1 on that list.

Quite right. Plus I’ve never been able to get it to foam properly, or at least up to standards.