Water Retention in Pour Over

Hi Nico,

I tested with just one Kalita dripper. Interestingly, I just ran across a Gino filter (same size as Kalita) that had a flaw, a “thread bare” section in the bottom! We tend to just trust that the filters are all manufactured the same, but in reality, there are variances and when that happens, we blame everything else but the filter. Which is reasonable 99% of the time, except for the one percent where it isn’t. Doesn’t really matter day to day, but if there is a competition, definitely inspect filters at the very least.

I read through my original post and had a few “edit” issues which I corrected, which may help to be more clear. The super-automation was in response to coffee brewing, not espresso. While I agree with you on super-automation making an espresso that can target the same EDS and EY% much more easily than a human, there is also a large issue that the “perfect” coffee/espresso cup will never come from one of these practically speaking. A great cup, yes, the perfect cup, Never.

Absolutely never, in practical terms. Theoretically? Yes.

To achieve the perfect cup in a super-automated machine means incorporating an EK43 level grinder, which, will not happen.

Now to take the opposite position :grin:, philosophically :wink:, I make the supposition that given a super-automated machine with infinite adjustability across all variables that regardless of coffee grind quality, a “window” of recipe can be found to make the “perfect” cup. It is just the “window” for that cup may be incredibly small. But finite. Anyway, just a random thought, possibly that this can be proven mathematically…

Anyways, super-automation will not ever practically deliver the perfect cup, but can it deliver a great one? Sure, but will that be accessible to the masses? Likely no, just for practical considerations of cost and that the public just doesn’t care that much and can’t differentiate. Sort of like marketing Callaway golf clubs to me, given my level of play, pointless.

Regarding brew weight, another poster was referring to that as a means of insuring consistency. The reality is that, I believe almost any technique can be made to work, the only issue is how wide are the “windows” of optimal brewing, freedom to not be precise and yet get a great cup. It is why Cafes tend to always underextract to stay within an acceptable safety margin within that window, which is what seems to offend Rao :smiley: