Should Cafes stop selling Skim Milk?

Does anyone have any opinions/experience about selling, or not selling skim milk, or non-fat milk?
Has any Cafe just cut-off the Skim Milk Customers?
We are considering getting rid of it entirely, leaving us with Whole, Oat, and Soy as our Dairy/Dairy-Like Choices.
It seems more and more like a just a waste of fridge space catering to an ever diminishing market.
Even the first result on a Google search for ‘skim milk vs whole milk’ comes up with an article entitled ‘The Case Against Low-fat Milk Is Stronger Than Ever’.
What say you Hustlers?

I think the Mermaid uses it for their “cold foam” beverages.

1 Like

Our shop, in Los Angeles, we keep it pretty simple offering Whole milk and almond milk only. I hear skim milk requests, maybe once a week? And they end up going with our whole milk anyways. No one has ever left without getting their coffee. Also we’ve eliminated the option from the very beginning. So I wouldn’t be able speak to how your guests would react if they found out it was no longer an option vs never being an option. But that’s us. To those that love skim milk, sorry! Lol, no hate. Just wanted to make it easier for our recipes, staff and not get carried away with so many milk alternatives. And we certainly don’t tell folks how to drink their coffee, but we do try to navigate/manage/guide the narrative for our shop.

I can feel myself starting to rant. hahaha hope that helps and good luck! Let us know what you end up going with!

1 Like

We sell 2% and almond.
People sometimes ask for skim but rarely.
People sometimes ask for whole milk but rarely.

Most people just ask for a latte or a cappuccino or…

Looking for an almond substitute if anyone wants to help me hijack this thread! How does home made oat steam up?
Sorry, nevermind :wink:

We stopped selling skim at the café I work about a month ago and so far so good. We have whole milk and almond, soy, coconut, and macadamia alternatives (the latter which is being tested out) but the majority of regulars who always ordered skim still come and it’s pretty rare a new customer leaves when learning we don’t have skim. Skim itself is an uncommon order anyway. I won’t argue that it’s nice to have that extra room in the fridge! :ok_hand:

Why would there be extra room in the fridge? If there is extra room than you are in fact selling less milk based beverages considering you would have to replace skim with whole milk if the skim drinkers were going ahead and still coming back for that whole milk latte. Your milk pars should still be filling up the same amount of fridge space. That is unless you were wasting skim by the gallon after it went past date AND/OR were always short on whole before your milk delivery day.

I don´t think so, Every Customer should choose their own milk. And the taste with whole milk are pretty similar.

Barista guia

Hi Austin, I should have been more specific, more room for whole milk. Cheers!

1 Like

Every business has there own requirements and customer base. So it all depends on what is in demand by your customers. If it’s only about 1 or 2 % of total sale, I suggest to get rid of it.

1 Like

I’d probably get rid of skim milk. A lot of people looking for healthier milk options have been going towards things like Oat and Almond milks.