Cold Brewing (Home-Made)

hi i want to ask about brew time coz i can’t fit 5 toddies in my fridge so if i’m brewing at room temp which is about 25- 32 degrees about how long should the brew be thx!

Are you brewing a concentrate or a ready to drink strength cold brew in the toddy? If you are brewing a concentrate do you dilute all of it with additional water after the fact?

For room temp brew time, 12 hours should be fine although the flavor potential with a full immersion cold brew prepared at room temp is less than that of a cold immersion from my experience. It will also have a shorter shelf life.

Best,
Austin

we should be brewing a concentrate and added water later. may i ask what ek grind do u use? i’m experimented from 8 - 11 on ek stock dial. i think u have said before that when brewing large batches we need to grind coarser. also if the coffee is left at around 30 degrees for up to 5 days will it go bad? What is the temp constraints on cold brew coffee?

If you are diluting I would recommend just brewing with a larger ratio like 1:12-13. This will produce a ready to drink cold brew and will increase your yield per pound. I would use the coarsest grind you can and stir a lot up front.

i see thanks for the advice. Do you know the shelf life old cold brew if its left in 28-33 degree celcious environments. coz i plan to brew 60 liters of cold brew for a factory to drink the entire week but they probably don’t have fridges large enough to store them.

If it is kept at room temp not too long maybe a couple of days. I am not too sure though I haven’t tested it for room temp. We keep it all in the refrigerator.

how about this ill test it for us and ill tell you next week ^^

Awesome thanks, that sounds great! Enjoy.

any links on a good vaccum seal hand pump and their respective jars?

I can’t imagine it saving at that temperature. Don’t try it, experimenting on factory test subjects (workers). Try it on yourself first, but even if it “passes”, I can’t imagine that this is “ok” by food standards.

The problem with cold brew lasting a long time is need to filter the fines out, with 60L volume not sure how to do that economically and efficiently.

Vacucraft is what I use, their website is vacucraft.net. I am sure there must be others out there. When you purchase the containers, a hand pump comes with them.

In fact, I have cold brew sitting in one right now in the refrigerator.

Hi I want to ask about your bottleing process. How do u sterilize your bottle? Is there some sort of detergent u can use or do u still need to boil for ten minutes? Thx!

With cold brew, the factors you have to keep in mind are temperature, grind, and proportion.
The difference between 12 and 24 hours will obviously be more infusion and hence stronger flavor. Lesser time for infusion makes the brew sour and too much time makes the brew bitter. Note that finer grinds will require lesser infusion time compared to the coarser grinds. You’d do perfect with a medium coarse grind.
As for proportion, I usually use 5 parts water for 1 part of grinds. It can vary though. Experiment a little and find what proportion will suit your taste better.
As for temperature, the cooler it is during infusion, the slower it will happen. I’d recommend letting it sit in the refrigerator for the infusion period.
Start with 20 hours of infusion for a medium coarse grind of your preferred coffee beans in 1:5 proportion and change variables and experiment to find what suits you best. I hope this helps.

Ok is anyone else going as low as 1:4 for the concentrate? I’ve been doing this and diluting with an addition 1-2 parts water depending on the strength of the yield. It’s been coming out pretty excellent and clean, but I’m trying to think about cost and pricing (so commercial use here).