On Geisha -- Over Valued?

Love this new blog post by James Hoffman. Would love to see some of the discussion of it. I think I’ve sampled about a dozen Panama Geishas trying to understand why third wave coffee values it so much, assuming my lack of understanding was just the lack of being a Q-grader or something. This post seems to validate my experience: maybe these coffees are not quite as tasty as we’ve hyped them to be.

http://www.jimseven.com/2016/07/18/on-geisha/

“Personally I’ve struggled to enjoy just about every lot of Geisha I’ve ever cupped and consumed. I’ve never had that “a-ha!” moment, it has never seemed revelatory to me. I think that many people roast to maximise a floral characteristic that leads to a heady cup that is great on the cupping table but I’m unable to finish a cup because it lacks real sweetness, and the astringency is just wearing me down. I’ll never say never – I would never refuse to buy or drink a coffee because it was Geisha, but I must confess I often feel disconnected from the excitement that surrounds it.”

Brandywine just sent out a Geisha from Costa Rica, and I’ve tried to brew it a few different ways with very little success. I’m getting a lot of raisin flavors, but the astringency is a killer. On the contrary I cupped this one Geisha that Intelligentsia had a while back that was just absolutely spectacular.

Most of the time it’s pretty “meh”. But there are certainly some Geshas that -when roasted well- are obviously superior. That said, I’ve had Kenyans for 1/5th the price that are just as good or better!

Gesha rather underwhelming, however, there was “that one time” at Klatch where a Panama gesha was transcendent to use a big word. Unbelievable complexity all the way down to room temperature.

But… the operative phrase is “that one time”. Otherwise…

I had a geisha from La Colombe that was pretty spectacular. Complexity for days. Simply beautiful. Haven’t had a chance to roast any myself, but I think that more often than not the hype/marketing that surrounds a coffee is just that. There are plenty of reasonably priced coffees that shine equally well.