Barrel-Aged Coffee

Hey Community,

I had my first shot of barrel-aged coffee from Dark Matter in Chicago and it threw me for a loop (in a good way). They also served it in a Mocha-- a very intriguing taste.

This article will tell you a bit more of what exactly barrel-aged coffee is.

I’m curious as to what people’s thoughts are on experimenting with beans like this. Does it taint the craft? If so, how far is too far? Do you see it getting bigger? I know it’s been around for a while, but I feel like having fun with coffee like this could excite people who aren’t as familiar with third-wave culture.

What are your experiences with barrel-aged beans?

Personally, I can’t wait to get back and taste it again.

Cross the Atlantic and come to London! Department of Coffee is serving barrel aged coffee as a cold brew, it’s definitely an awesome thing to do, and in a way you can look at it in the same way as bulletproof coffee; it’s an interesting idea and if done well, can be amazing, but it won’t become a community wide thing, because it’s not an easy thing to do and it might not suit your clientele, but barrel aged coffee as a cold brew, or Bold Brew as Department of Coffee call it, is definitely awesome, also works as a pretty good mixer with Rum/Gin, move over JagerBombs

1 Like

FWIW I’m really into beer… and barrel aged beers, but the beans that I tried were not good. I couldn’t get my head wrapped around it.

1 Like