Favorite V60 02 recipes

Hello guys!

This year I am competing at Brewers Cup and I just want to ask you:
What is your favorite recipes for V60? If you can share them with me I would be very
happy, my mind is not able to produce any more recipes :smiley:

Have a nice day guys!

Robert

My favorite one makes an 8 ounce cup of coffee. Itā€™s a 15:1 ratio. I use 18.2 grams of coffee to 272 grams of water. Itā€™s great if you like small strong cups of coffee.

8 oz ā€“ 17g medium roast, 15g dark, 20g light

I have my cadence down with the Melodrip https://melodrip.co/products/melodrip-v-01 and the clarity is spectacular. They recommend 15g @ 8 oz. It takes some patience and practice - noticeable payoff.

Good luck!

I went and checked out the Mellowdripā€¦ the artwork/imaging used on their site is so bad I canā€™t really figure out what it is. NO contrast. Ditch the chip of wood and use a plain medium drk neutral colour backdrop, and some directioinal lighting so we can see what it is.
Best I can guess is it workes as a diffuser to evenly drip water over the bed of grounds, rather than having the brewer place the water, as with a swan-neck kettle or some such.
Not a bad idea, as Iā€™ve watched far too many drip brews made by simply flooding the bed and enduring the results.

I saw an OXO product that works in similar fashion to how I think Mellowdrip functionis. It seems pretty easy to use. Have you seen/tried that unit?

The OXO device is actually a water tank, has few holes in a circle near the centre, so it deposits the water centrally, but also regulates flow (Melodrip & Aeropress used as a dispersion screen donā€™t regulate). I have used the OXO complete & itā€™s water tank with my 185 Kalita wave with 155 papers. Itā€™s low faff, I tend to do this for 1st cup in the morning at the weekends, works acceptably. I bloom for 90s via tank with a shake to wet, then all in with the remaining brew water with a regular kettle. I still prefer to pour with a gooseneck when Iā€™m inclined to be more ā€˜hands onā€™.

I bought the Melodrip after studying - in depth - about agitation and its effects. It took me about 3 coffeeā€™s to get my cadence. Itā€™s measurably better, and Iā€™ve blind-poured this vs ā€˜basicā€™ pour over for bakers and they choose Melodrip. Melodrip didnā€™t revolutionize anything - it just made it easier. A very good pour over can go one-on-one with this, just donā€™t be in a hurry.

I found two ways to get the same result - constant 5g pulses as you go around the bed or 40g pulses every 20 seconds. I also go to the end with the Melodrip vs a dump of the last 40g from spout. Just being careful. My cup is whistle-clean.

I am thinking about getting a pour over and confused between buying a V60 dripper and a honey combed pour over. May be I want to know about the best Pour overs available in the market.

By ā€œhoney combedā€ do you mean the Beehouse style dripper, similar to the Melitta? Or, are you talking about a permanent, metal filter?

If you mean the Melitta style, that uses a paper, both that and V60 can make excellent cups. I would base your choice on how easy it is to get filter papers. For example, Hario offer a few different kinds and the Dutch ones can throw you off by drawing down slower than Japanese. I can get good, white Melitta style papers in the local supermarket, so I tend to use those most oftenā€¦depends what you have available locally.

Nailing down your recipe & being consistent will make for the best pour over brews, irrespective of the drip cone you use.

I am talking about E-PRANCE HoneyCombed Coffee Filter available at Amazon. It seems good to go for.

A permanent filter will let more solids pass into the brew, even with a paper filtered brew these an flatten of sweetness & clarity. Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t work, Iā€™m sure it willā€¦with a bit of figuring out. Itā€™s perhaps not a most suitable comparison to the V60 (though Hario do have their own permanent filter, the Cafeor).

Whether it is best/better, or otherwise, will depend strongly on your ability to make consistent cups & your tolerance to undissolved solids in the final brew.

Maybe grind on the coarse side & after initial pre wet, keep pours central & stretch out the brew with little pulses?

I would go with the a Kalita Wave or Hario V60. I really like the V60 I use it everyday. Easy to brew with and coffee tastes great.