Home Espresso Machine?

Well, it depends. I believe if you’re just an amateur there won’t be a great difference. But if you’re a geek, then switching to a better equipment is a necessity.
Like, if you’re talking about espresso like the really good cafes (not Starbucks!), then it takes a good machine and, more importantly, a good grinder. The grinder is in fact more important than the machine, but well, you won’t get a really good setup under 1500$.
So if I were you, I’d invest in a grinder first (some good options were discussed here) and try it with a basic machine.

But if you’re looking for “passable” but not spectacular, then stay with one of those Nespresso machines with the pods. I don’t have anything against them, as my mom has one - Chulux I believe - and it’s idiot-proof (one button solution, “press 1 to get your morning cup”) and drinkable (at least for both of us). But it’s not even close to the good espresso, but to me it’s probably better than anything you’d get at a Starbucks.

p.s. if you like Starbucks, then please, no offense! This post is just my personal thoughts, and I don’t mean to criticize you and your preferences. Peace :dove: