Opinions on SCAE SCAA Merger

I’m interested to know what the general opinion is on the SCAA/SCAE merger, and if people are excited about it or if they think it is a bad idea?

Personally I feel that our global industry needs a global association to push forward with the important issues we have to face.

Why waste time duplicating efforts when we can maximise our expertise?

1 Like

Barista Magazine has posted two op/ed pieces on their blog, one for and one against.

http://baristamagazine.com/blog/

@joshuadusk thank you for the reply. I read both articles, which is what prompted my post here on barista hustle. I want to hear some real opinions from real SCAA/SCAE members, not just from leadership. I will be fully honest, I find the article on the reason to vote no to be more compelling, and an overall more informative argument then the reason to vote yes. I fear that makes me sound unprogressive and old fashioned however. Part of what makes me uneasy in everything is the secretive nature that the whole situation took place under. It makes sense to me when Donald Schoenholt says that the people who stand to gain the most from this are SCAA and SCAE leadership. If I were to be a high ranking member of any organization, it would make sense to work towards a global network, because my title and rank woukd carry more weight, and indeed I would expect a raise. Better to be chairman of an american/european board than to be chair of a purely American board. I’m not saying that is the sole motivator of these members, but it had to influence the decision in some way. How does this help the lowly cafe owner in Indiana, or in South Dakota. Will he/she truly reap some benefits from this, other than better access to information and standards? I personally feel that I already have access to the information and knowledge of European coffee professionals through blogs and other online sources.

I want to add a further disclaimer… I am only a member of the Barista Guild, and therefore unable to vote on this matter. I understand that this makes my opinion and my voice in the matter mean very little to many people. I am simply interested in the subject, and like to be informed in all things coffee related, whether my opinion matters or not. Like many coffee professionals, I hope to one day have my own business which I will promptly register with the SCAA and pay my dues. I work for that day. Thanks again!

"I fear that makes me sound unprogressive and old fashioned however."
No, it makes you sound like a critical thinker. And that’s a good thing.

"If I were to be a high ranking member of any organization, it would make sense to work towards a global network, because my title and rank woukd carry more weight, and indeed I would expect a raise. Better to be chairman of an american/european board than to be chair of a purely American board."
Not necessarily true. When organizations merge, there’s oft times redundancy within the structure that needs to be dealt with. In some instances, a high-ranking leader is requested to step down in their duties and take a lesser role.

"How does this help the lowly cafe owner in Indiana, or in South Dakota. Will he/she truly reap some benefits from this, other than better access to information and standards?"
Well, isn’t that the crux of it? The SCAA was birthed to deal with these very two topics: access to information and developing and managing standards. So, while the lowly cafe owner in Indiana or SD may appear to garner little value from membership due to the supposed access to existing information, they miss out- in many regards- to the community and accountability that membership provides. That said, of course any cafe owner can make a go of it on their own… as many do… and are doing just fine. So I realize that I’ve not provided that strong an argument for membership. But let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater. IF the new association can maintain or improve their membership experience, then there’s value. Period. Whether a roaster/retailer or cafe owner wishes to throw their lot in with the association is up to them.