What are 2 techniques for coffee extraction?

Been asked to do a quick presentation on 2 diffrent methods of coffee extraction but I’m having a little trouble with it. Can anyone help me out?

what exactly are you having trouble with?

1 Like

Just pick 2 methods:
Pour Over, Chemex, French Press, V60 or whatever you feel like…

Hey,

This has been a question that’s been on my mind for a while, but what is the difference between a chemex and a pour-over? Is it just the filter paper thats different or is it a completely different thing?

I think it helps to consider “pour-over” a category. V60, Chemex, Kalita Wave, etc. all fit into that category. Anything where you pour water over the grounds and let it drip through, really.

“Immersion” would be another major category - french press being the star of that show, with eva solo and even cupping fitting in there as well.

There are other categories and there are “hybrids” like the AeroPress and the Clever.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Pour over is used to describe the method used in which you are brewing the coffee. Pour over can also be defined as a manual way of brewing drip coffee. A chemex is a type of pour over. The differences between Chemex is that their filters are designed to be thicker than most on the market, claiming that the filter will extract more of the unwanted sediment and produce a cleaner cup than when using other filters that are thinner. The shape in which many of these pour over devices are designed also play a role in how the coffee will brew, so a lot of it depends on preference and the technology that is behind the shape of the different pour over methods that are on the market now.