GS3 AV vs Linea Mini for pop up cart

Hi, I noticed there’s another question about the GS3 and about the Mini, but didn’t really find anything relevant to what I need.

We need a 1 group for events such as parties, weddings, etc and usually we serve anything btw 30 to 250 ppl in 1 to 4 hours. I love the GS3 for it’s looks and because it does work pretty damn well (I used to train baristas on that), but it is more expensive than the Linea Mini. (I’ve never used the mini).

Has anyone out there used both machines for similar size events? it would be great to hear from someone that has experience using both (plumbed to big water tanks) and to hear your thoughts about both, and whether or not the GS3 is far superior to pay more for it.

Thank you kindly in advanced!

1 Like

…just following.

Regards,
S.

If I was suggesting and I’m not a great reference, I’d say get 2 minis for the price of a GS3, that way you have a spare and a second group if needed. Unless you’re pulling fancy long pre-infusion shots, I can’t imagine you’ll gain much from a GS3.

Ira

I’ve been using a GS3 on our cart, and am a bit disappointed that the steam boiler does not keep up well with any sort of line. I’d start by comparing the size and efficiency of the steam boilers on the two, and consider how busy you expect to be.

Thanks Ira, is always good to hear good ideas, I am hoping to test the mini soon to see how it works. 2 Minis wouldn’t be such a bad thing

Can I ask you how many coffees you’ve made when the steam boiler starts struggling? And also, are you using the water tank in the machine or is it plumbed?

Thanks a lot for your comments! Really appreciate your feedback

You could maybe get 5 drinks in a row before needing to wait for the pressure to build back up again. If using at weddings or events, this would be really difficult because you end up serving a large rush of people all at once.

Kate Seward
Form & Function
Coffee // Roasting // Supply

208-922-7824

511 W Broad St. Boise, ID 83702

Find us on Instagram and Facebook

We have it plumbed as well.

Kate Seward
Form & Function
Coffee // Roasting // Supply

208-922-7824

511 W Broad St. Boise, ID 83702

Find us on Instagram and Facebook

I’d say the Gs3 was too artisan for a cart, where you need some consistency and ability to turnaround customers.

I’d personally try and squeeze on a two group Linea classic/PB otherwise just a 1 group linea classic or a Linea Mini if your output really is that low - but even then its not cheap so is that a good investment?

Thank you for the answers!

For a cart, you’re probably stuck with 117V 15A so while all the 230V suggestions seem to make more sense than a Mini, I can’t imagine it’s reasonably to assume 230V will be available. I’ve seem a number of shops which use a Mini for catering and the way it’s designed makes it as good or better for that as any 117V machine. Other than the fact it’s a right to 9bar machine, it’s about as good as you’re going to get. Some people like replacing the stock flow restrictor, 0.8mm I believe, with a 0.6mm one to slow down the ramp to 9bar. The downside is slightly more susceptibility to blockage.

Ira

Thanks for the great feedback Ira!