This questions seems boring and obvious but I’m sick of googling things and thought maybe someone could offer some insight into my frustration.
I’ve just started at a new place as head barista brewing on a Bunn Smart Wave.
The recipe I was left with by the last barista was 1:10 ratio EK setting 7 for a 1L batch. My last place brewed 1:16 ratio EK 9-10 for 2.5L and I thought, there is no way that that recipe is going to taste good and that it’s going to be way too strong. But I tried it and it was probably a bit weak if anything. So now I’m using 1:10 EK 6 and I’m struggling to get any sort of sweetness without also getting bitterness.
A few options I have thought of:
- Get over it and make the average filter
- My current course of action
- I’ve never worked with this roaster before maybe it’s just different coffee
- I’ve tried it at home and it seems to be ok with my usual kalita recipe
- The EK struggles to grind fine enough for espresso, maybe the grinder is the issue?
- This seems the most likely to me as an uneven grind would explain the flavour I’m getting
- Different brewer
- There are 4 different brew cycle and I’m currently set to the longest one.
- Is it something to do with the smaller batch?
- I dunno…
Is there anything I’m missing? Please help me make tasty batch brew tasty.
Thanks in advance coffee people